Last year I made a list of things I wanted to do in 2013. Funny how few of them have any relevance now. I think there’s value in setting forth intentions, however, so in no particular order, I’ll take a crack at a list for 2014:
1. Take one long deep breath before I react.
2. Let go of self-consciousness, playing small to accommodate, minimization of self.
3. Methodically increase my skills that will better match up the stories I tell to the stories I imagine.
4. Take a train to Montreal.
5. Honour the early hour, ignore the discomfort, and take the body to the gym.
6. Unplug and run away–into story, into the forest, into friendship–one day per week.
7. Attend a meaningful storytelling conference or commune–doesn’t matter–where I can really dweeb out with my fellow story hounds.
8. Attend to shoring up healthy boundaries.
9. Finish. The. Damn. Novel.
10. Let go of sugar and carbs that are fair-weather friends at best.
I think I’ll stop at 10. Seems kind of manageable but knowing me, I’ll likely add to it until it topples over like a Jenga game but for now, it seems orderly and so, I commence my intentions for the new year. Please share yours too, maybe we can keep each other on track?